03 February 2010

I Will Fight No More Forever

When Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce surrendered to U.S. troops, in his surrender speech he declared, "I will fight no more forever". Me too.

I refereed a mens' basketball game this evening for the church. I had been awake since 4:30 AM. I didn't finish work until after 6:00 PM. I refereed a girls game before the mens' game.

By the time the mens' game started after 9:00 PM, I was tired, grumpy, and irritable. I was also a poor, poor excuse for a referee. I had hoped to be some help by acting as a weak, amateur referee. I failed in that attempt. The game was rough, many calls were missed, feelings were hurt, and I doubt any good came from the game. I finally gave up, stopped the game with 5 minutes remaining on the clock, and walked off the court.

With regards to being a referee in church basketball games, "I will fight no more forever". I can spend my free time in ways that will help others, and will help me. I don't need to spoil a fine evening for others, or for myself. Being a poor referee is apparently worse than not being a referee. Someone else more skilled and more willing can fill the spot, and everyone will be better for it.

Work starts again tomorrow morning at 4:30 AM and I don't need stress in the evening to match with the stress of employment.

1 comment:

Sarah Merritt said...

I love you daddy! I hope you get some sleep and i'm sorry it was such a horrible night!