05 October 2010

Wipe out riding for Cycling merit badge

I enjoy cycling. I enjoy it enough that I ride to work most every day there are dry roads. I'm BSA Wood Badge certified. I've been a Scoutmaster, and have been involved in Scouting in other ways and at other levels. Those things should make me a reasonable candidate to act as a Merit Badge counselor for the Cycling merit badge.

Even with those "reasonable conditions", I still made a mistake that injured a Scout. We were 7.5 miles into our 15 mile bike ride, 3 adults, 5-6 scouts, riding a bike trail just south and west of the end of 29th street in Loveland. As the trail slopes downward slightly, it also has a parallel dirt trail beside it. Three of the scouts were ahead of me and decided to ride the dirt trail. With the slight downhill slope, I decided to increase speed on the tandem I was riding.

Unfortunately, the dirt trail intersects the concrete trail. At that intersection, one of the smaller of the scouts crossed the concrete in front of me. I was not able to stop the tandem and the scout, the tandem, me, and the scout on the back of the tandem all went to the ground.

The worst part of the whole accident seemed to be that the young scout who crossed in front of me received the brunt of the damage. His left ankle was scraped, his knee was scraped, and he was thoroughly frightened by having that big tandem and two riders going over the top of him.

Lessons I should have already known as a scout leader:

  • Know the trail, know the hazards, predict and defend against the obvious hazards
  • Don't overrun a safe stopping distance, especially when dealing with younger scouts
  • Always carry a first aid kit, especially when any distance from standard first aid supplies
Things that went well in spite of the mistakes:
  • Three adults gave us capacity to always have two adults with the scouts even when one of the adults went for help (in this case, went for his truck so we could transport the damaged bikes and the scraped scouts
  • Ample water on the trail for hydration and scrubbing
  • Use local routes and accessible trails on early training trips and rides

No comments: